There’s only ONE more day to purchase the Michelle Kane HeARTy Photoshop action bundle at the launch special price. With this special, the action collections are a mere $94.50 each. You won’t see them this low again. Time is of the essence! Sale ends midnight on the 20th!
This image comes from Nanette Gerrits Photography. I’ve always said that Photoshop is amazing at being able to pull dramatic color from an image where there’s barely any. This exemplifies that point exactly. Normally, I would have taken this image into Lightroom first to do some overall corrective measures with exposure, blacks and white balance. But, I know not everyone will work in a RAW editor (despite my recommendations).
Disclaimer: This image was shot by Nanette Gerrits Photography. However, all Photoshop steps demonstrated are the unique editing process of Michelle Kane and do not represent the editing work of Nanette Gerrits.
Here’s where we started:
Straight Out of Camera (SOOC) image by Nanette Gerrits Photography, Image Processing by Michelle Kane
1. Duplicated background layer and cleaned up the under eye area with the patch tool. Lowered the entire layer opacity to 53%.
2. Bland to Brilliant at 100%.
- Opened Bland to Brilliant and increased Brighten Brilliant to 100%, masked off the edges to keep them dark. Masked the Clarity layer off her skin to keep it soft. Masked off the edges of the photo on the Lighten Details layer to keep them dark.
3. DIY Light at 100% and masked onto just the darker left side of her face to brighten selectively.
4. Glisten at 100%, masked over the irises of the eyes to give a pop.
5. Posh 100%
a. Opened Posh and increased the Creamy Richness layer opacity to 80% and the More Posh Richness layer opacity to 75%.
b. Masked the Posh grouping off her skin and a few areas of the clothes and background that got too dark. You don’t usually want to leave the RICH actions on skin. Use the layer masks to take it off, otherwise the skin is too dark, orange or soft.
6. Light Optimizer at 40% to brighten image while maintaining contrast. Masked off areas that got too dark.
7. Sun Kissed Skin 100%, masked onto key areas of the skin with a low opacity: 20-30% brush, clothes and background to give a soft, bright warmth.
8. Flawless Face at 100% masked onto most of the image except for hair and eyes. Works awesome on backgrounds to cream and smooth and reduce noise.
9. Sharpened for web upon export from Lightroom. I personally always use Lightroom’s sharpening when preparing for web.
Final edit using actions from both the HeART & Soul and Creative HeART action collections