Someone recently requested that I show an editing blueprint for a newborn photo. So here we go.
The out of camera image had really orange/yellow skin and dark shadows on the chin area. Normally, I would remedy temperature issues in Lightroom, but for those who don’t use Lightroom or ACR, I’m going to demonstrate a complete edit just using Photoshop and my HeARTy actions.
P.S. The before and after snapshots below are a free download from my facebook page. Go to the exclusive tab to download 4 PS and PSE compatible templates.
SOOC – Straight out of camera
1. Ran DIY Light and painted in some increased exposure on the face with a low opacity white brush.
2. Ran Anti-Fake n’ Bake and painted in over the skin to decrease the red/orange tones. Don’t go nuts reducing red/pink tones, as babies are humans and humans have color!
3. Ran Blue Powder Tone at 15 % to slightly brighten and counteract the slight yellow tone.
4. Ran Flawless Face and painted in on skin and a few spots on the corners of the blanket to blur. Avoid the detail areas around the nose, lash lines and mouth to maintain detail.
5. Ran DIY Dark. Using a very tiny white brush, painted over the lash line of the bottom eye to make it as dark as the top eye. Painted in on hair to darken and bring out detail.
6. Ran Translucent Haze at 100% and masked off the face and hair a tiny bit, so it didn’t get too light and hazy.