Updated: The free Monochrome Photoshop Action Set was originally an exclusive Michelle Kane Photography Facebook fan freebie. It is now available for free download on the Freebies page.
I will be posting a tutorial video with examples and ideas of how you can use the action and textures to create a multitude of different monochromatic looks for your images. Included in the free set are 6 actions:
Satin, Dream Glow, Monochrome, Film Grain, Film Scratches and Aged. Along with the actions, I’ve included 4 free textures to add style to your creations.
Just an FYI, the actions are listed in order of what I suggest you do first to last.
- Satin adds a softer, richer feel and takes the edgy contrast down.
- Dream Glow adds a well… dreamy glow to your images. Can be used all over or in small portions with the use of a layer mask to create a localized glow.
- Monochromatic is the main black and white action. It contains options for hazes, all of which can be adjusted or turned on or off.
- Film Grain adds the rich grain of old time images to create a sense of nostalgia or drama to your images.
- Film Scratches provides layers for both black and white streaks to again, create the feeling of vintage images.
- Aged is a tonal action that provides a hint of vintage warmth.
- The 4 texture files can be placed over your edits and adjusted by setting the layer opacity and blending modes. Experiment with such modes as Soft Light, Multiply, and Screen. Try them all, but those are my favorites for incorporating textures into my images.
Here are but a few ideas of what you can create with the free Monochrome action.