You’ll always hear me say how important it is to start with a clean, well-lit photo. I simply cannot stress this enough. Editing is really about embellishing and creating artistic effects, not about magically transforming a poorly shot photo. Here I’ve started with a gorgeous photo from Melody White Studios. It’s shot beautifully, in even flat light and properly exposed. If you prefer a very light and simple edit, try using only Dull to Dazzling or Bland to Brilliant for a simple punch and call it good. Or, to create more stunning drama, follow the simple steps outlined below and in the video to see how you can easily customize the layers inside of Dull to Dazzling to add in extra oomph, matte haze, and richer color to your photos. It’s deceptively simple!
The edits I choose to do for these blueprints are intended to inspire and educate my action customers on what is possible to achieve when using my actions. Editing is entirely subjective.
Photo courtesy of Melody White Studios.
Photo Editing Blueprint.
1. Lavish 100%, mask Matte Haze layer slightly off the face.
2. Dull to Dazzling 100% Customized inside layers as such.
- Warmth layer turned off.
- Airy Haze layer 100% then duplicated and copy layer set to 43%
- Light layer turned off.
- Dark layer on and increased to 93% masked off skin where it got too dark.
- Dazzling Richness layer was masked off eyes to bring back light and detail.
3. Eye-citement 100% masked on with a low opacity brush over the iris of the eyes to add in sparkle.
4. Mulberry 60% to add in pink tone to the edges. Masked almost completely off the skin.
5. Cosmic Ray 66% to add in blue to the shadows of the edges. Masked almost completely off the skin and hair.
1. The actions in the SIMPLE set of the Creative HeART Collection are packed with powerful layers that are begging to be customized. Many times you can simply play one of these 3 actions and using only the layers inside the action, create a beautiful complete edit. They are robust all-in-one actions that save you time and energy. Add in your favorite tone and be done!
2. Experiment with combining multiple tones. You may come up with a look that’s all you and totally custom. For more tones, try those in the Botanical Blends Collection.